One of the big trends this year is the return of metal in furniture design. Steel, iron, aluminum and copper are all being used, whether alone or with wood cork or fabric. Can anyone say, “1950’s?” BuzziSpace has created a new Legends line of tables and chairs using salvaged steel rods and aircraft aluminum. Metal is also being used for accessories like pendant lamps.
We are also seeing bright, vivid colors in many places, from wallpaper to paintings, cookware and kitchen accessories.
Of course, wood is still very popular and some artisans are finding unique uses for it. Pascal Oudet is a sculptor and wood turner who has created beautiful decorative and lacy wooden sculpture.
|Courtesy Pascal Oudet|
- Brass is on a comeback, especially in the kitchen and bath.
- The merging of indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Ethnic prints from exotic places used in fabrics.
- Corduroy used as an alternative to velvet in upholstered furniture.
- Floral textile designs in both interior design and fashion.
- Lighter colored woods like oak and cherry in furniture.
- Many tints, tones and shades of blue. Navy is very hot.
- Classy, softer tones of black and white.
- Pineapple shaped accessories.
- Modern versions of old, classic designs.
|Courtesy of Freshome|