CENTRAL FLORIDA INTERIOR DESIGN

Katy Hahn Designs, located in Central Florida, specializes in residential interior home decorating and space planning for your home so that everything works well together. Her design consultation services can help clients learn new ways to update, upgrade and enhance the value of their home. Katy will address your unique decorating challenges, assess your needs and give you design advice and ideas. She also offers design specific consultation for clients that may need help in furniture or accessory selections in any area of their home. Katy can assist you in redesigning your space by re-purposing your existing furniture. We can redesign your home in one day without having to replace furniture and sometimes adding new design elements.

Katy Hahn Designs blog is a platform where we discuss home interior decorating ideas and discover interior design solutions to real world challenges. Together we will explore everything related to interior design in today’s world. Come on board as we highlight personal style, home fashions, color and design elements for your home. Feel free to post questions or make comments. All followers, referrals or AARP members will receive 10% off design services.



Sunday, February 26, 2012

Midcentury Style

One interior design style I like is midcentury, whether it is modern or vintage.  It is classy, inviting, a tad whimsical and it grabs attention.  It is also a lot of fun putting it together and choosing your design elements.

Midcentury also supports an eco-friendly lifestyle by repurposing existing furniture and adding design elements to get the look and feel you desire.  Sometimes you can even make a retro-looking accessory using existing materials like the yarn art below.


Here are my favorite finds.  Feel free to share your photos or ideas in the comments section below.

Thanks.

Pictures courtesy of HGTV.


   



Or how about a retro looking turntable, radio, cassette player and CD recorder?




Katy

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Green Living And A Healthy Home

If you would like to learn more about green living both indoors and out, please check out my new article for ezine articles:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Green-Living-and-A-Healthy-Home&id=6874604


Katy

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Energy Efficient Light Bulbs

Most homes use the standard incandescent light bulbs that have been around since Thomas Edison’s invention in 1879.  These light bulbs have continued in popularity since they are inexpensive and readily available.  However, they have a downside.  They have a short lifespan and, even worse, they only use 10% of the electrical energy for light.  The other 90% creates heat.  Would you pay $10 at the store to get $1 worth of groceries?  Of course not!  Yet you are using that same logic when you use incandescent light bulbs in your home.  Because of that, lighting companies have started to create alternatives to the traditional incandescent lights.

Halogen light bulbs were created to save energy and they are 10-40% more efficient.  However, these are actually modified incandescent light bulbs.  They have some major drawbacks such as the risk of the glass shattering violently and fire (they are 4 times hotter then regular incandescents).

A better choice is the compact fluorescent light (CFL) light bulbs used to replace the incandescent bulbs.  These lights give off a warm glow without glare, last 10-15 times longer than incandescent bulbs, are dimmable and use one quarter to one third the energy.  They are more expensive but when you factor in the energy savings and longevity of these bulbs, they become more attractive.  The most cost effective tactic is to replace your incandescent light bulbs as they burn out with CFL bulbs.

Light Emitting Diode (LED) lights are very efficient and can also be used in certain applications.  These lights are not a large part of the traditional lighting market and they are more expensive to produce.  However, they are much more resistant to bumps and vibrations, they are great for directional light like in spotlights and are very cool to the touch.

There are a variety of sizes and shapes of energy efficient light bulbs to choose from. To see a selection of these bulbs, please visit the websites below:



Katy